Dandy Warhol Interview tbt

A while ago, I interview The Dandy Warhol's. Weirdly, I didn't post it anywhere. Enjoy.

SPRING HAS JUST STARTED, FINALLY NO MORE BEING FREEZING. YAY. DO YOU GET INSPIRATION FROM ANY SEASONS IN PARTICULAR IN THE SONG WRITING PROCESS?
C: Well track 2 is titled the autumn carnival which now that you bring it up I must say sort of dominates the feel of the record.  This is quite an insight as Portland Oregon is a city where autumn lasts for nine or ten months out of the year.  Good call.  Actually we do get a week of winter somewhere between November and march as well as a week of spring somewhere else but really...

SOME PEOPLE WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC AS ‘SPIRITUAL’. WHAT’S THE MOST SPIRITUIAL EXPERIENCE YOU’VE EVER HAD?
C: The most spiritual experience of my life was the entirety of a gig we played at the crystal ballroom last year.  It was at the end of tour so my body and mind were finely tuned into the separation/cooperation they need to have constantly happening to in order make this music.  Plus I had eaten just enough space cake an hour before to where I had forgotten I had eaten it and it came on exactly as I was ascending the staircase up to the stage.  I was really able to hear my places in the soundscape that Pete Zia and fatty create and able to independently sing play guitar and hear the whole thing.  On top of that to understand and consider each lyric whilst playing guitar and singing them to everyone is another layer as well.  I found myself able to control this soft machine but this time I was also able to detach myself and mentally chill on the stoner sofa and just really feel live and breathe in the music that we create for exactly that kind of human being.  God it was incredible and enduring I shall never forget it of course.
SO, YOUR EUROPEAN TOUR STARTS ON THE 14TH OF APRIL. EXCITING STUFF. WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIAL THINGS FOR A GOOD TOUR?
C: Oh man I canfugging wait.  When the little everyday frustrations happen I’m starting to say things to myself like "oh well thank god that won’t be happening on tour".  One essential of a great tour is a great opening band.  You want an opening band that threatens to smoke you every night.  Who inspires you to remember and be what is beautiful and powerful to your mortality.  To remember why you gave your life to make music.  You take AKDK on tour.  Check out YouTube "akdk metaluna".  I can’t believe I get to watch these guys improvise on these badass riffs every night.  Like our shows threes are heavy with improvisational jams but start with tried and true inspired riffs.They’re gonna shit their pants when we bust out the other tour essential.  Two tiny bbq's.  Hellzyes, summer tour of Europe.



DO YOU LIKE AN ARTIST AT THE MOMENT THAT YOU THINK IS/ARE PARTICULARY UNDERRATED?
C: Check out older live youtubes of the band ESSER.  I’m addicted.  What a special dude and wow what inventive and truly inspired cats he has in the band.  I find myself thinking things like "boy I’m so glad this exists".
WHEN LISTENING TO A SONG DO YOU HAVE A PREFERENCE OVER THE LYRICS BEING MORE LITERAL OR MORE ABSTRACT?
C: I strongly prefer them to be literal.  Unless you suck.  thenplease please please be abstract.  

THE NEW ALBUM ‘THIS MACHINE’ IS COMING OUT SOON. WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM IT?
C: Guitar anti-heroics like an aural dr zhivago.  This record tends to be stripped down only to the point where the soul takes up the large amount of space that it ought to.  There is such rich music in simple and truthful parts and we really wanted and needed to explore this again.  We have been deep into density and layering for a while and before that it was minimalism.  This record reminds me why a four-piece is a quintessential rock or punk band.

WHEN YOU’RE WATCHING BANDS PERFORM DO YOU USUALLY AWKWARDLY BOP YOUR HEAD ALONG, OR DO YOU GET INTO IT AND GET CRAZY?
C: That depends on the band and their music.  And then more specifically the song.  Locally I freak the fuck out to a lot of songs by 1776, The Shivas and Hawkeye.  These cats are the best in the world.  We also have a band here called the hugs whorecently got the proverbial shit beat out of them by the press mainly for being overhyped a couple years ago and their new record is half done and will be the best unsigned record I am likely to hear for the remainder of this decade.
WHAT’S THE MOST AWKWARD SITUATION YO’UVE BEEN IN?
C: Oh god I am constantly embarrassing the shit out of myself in new and mind-blowing ways.  God I don’t even want to go there right now.
ANNA SAMPSON

Comments

Popular Posts